Thursday, March 12, 2009

I'm a bad blogger

My apologies for the lack of posts, but as an editor by trade my free time to experiment and play with this camera can come and go. Right now it's "go". But next week I'll have some time, thankfully, and I'm looking forward to it.

I'm interested in exploring my options of HD to SD. I know I can transcode to Proress 422 and then convert via Compressor to SD, but the results seem to produce flickery results. Lines at angles become jaggy. I'll have to post an example, but what motivates me to type this is right now I'm watching the SEC Tournament via AT&T Uverse. I have an SD TV still in the office and I wanted to see if I could watch the HD channel instead of the SD one. The answer is yes, I can. It's letterboxed and in general it looks great, but it produces similar results as Compressor. Lines are jagged, lots of shimmers. My assumption is the Uverse box is doing the conversion for me and it's hardware, so I'm wondering if this is the kind of results I should expect either using software or hardware down converting options? But I swear I've used an AJA Kona card before with perfect results, but sadly it's out of my price range right now.

No comments: