Tuesday, June 09, 2009

More Conversion Time Data

I just shot a wedding with the HMC150 this past weekend. As far as I can tell the camera performed beautifully and as it had to put up with its operator's weaknesses. I'll obviously know a lot more as I get in to the editing process and see how the footage looks, especially in the extremely bright, overly lit-by-the-sun scenes and in the evening, when the light was starting to wain. I also used a Litepanels LP-Micro, so I'm looking forward to seeing how that looks.

One note, which actually surpassed my expectations, was how long it took to convert one of the AVCHD clips to ProRes. I assumed with my Mac Pro 3.0 DP it was about a 50% realtime process. I just processed my longest clip to date - 15 minutes - and it took 5:18 to convert this, thus greater than 50% realtime (or even faster). It's good to know that maybe there's a bump in speed the longer your clip is.

2 comments:

Bill Kinnon said...

Brian,
I use NeoHD on a Mac Pro 2.66 4 core to convert the footage I shoot with an AVCHD camera. Allowing it to use all 4 cores, NeoHD is significantly faster than what I experience in FCP 6.

Brian Wilson said...

Bill,

Thanks for the comment and tip about NeoHD. I have planned on checking that out and if it improves conversion time significantly I'd be all for it. I don't think it's too pricey, so the saved time would make it more than worth it.