Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Gamma Differences

Wow, so I've known for a while now that Quicktime X and 7 use different gamma settings when playing video. But until now the differences have been mostly minor. That is, until I compared something I shot the other day:

QT X on top, QT 7 on bottom

The video in Quicktime 7 (the lower one) most closely matches the way the footage was shot.  Yes, it's a little too red (and we really needed to adjust our fill light!) but that's not the point.  Color correction has yet to happen. Compare it to how QT X shows it.  Amazing!  I have to admit I haven't fully wrapped my head around this problem but it really makes me second guess things.

The bottom line is the way QT 7 plays back the clip matches the way it looks in Final Cut and the way it looks on my "broadcast" monitor.  But how will the client view things?  Scary...

No comments: